This palm tree, with its long, graceful feather-shaped fronds, will add a tropical feel to your home and is especially well suited for screened patios and atrium.
What makes it special:
- NASA recommended air purifying plant.
- Best plant for AC rooms.
- Low maintenance plant.
- Popular indoor house plant.
|1||Areca Palm (Small) – Plant|
|2||4.5 inch (11 cm) Ronda No. 1110 Round Plastic Planter (Red)|
|3||4 inch (10 cm) Nursery Pot as Inner|
Areca palm is one of the most widely used indoor gardenings for bright interio₹ It features feathery, arching fronds, each with up to 100 leaflets. These big, bold plants command attention.
The areca palm (Chrysalidocarpus lutescens or Dypsis lutescens), also called the yellow butterfly palm and golden cane palm is one of the easiest palm trees to grow indoo₹ The foliage is evergreen, of Fine texture and yellow-green in color. Pinnate, 6 to 8 pale green leaves per stem, 80 to 100 leaflets, to 8 feet long (2.4 m). Yellow if grown with enough light, 2 feet long. Yellow male and female flowers on the same inflorescence.
|Plant Height||11 inch (28 cm)|
|Plant Spread||5 inch (13 cm)|
|Common Name||Golden Cane Palm, Areca Palm, Butterfly Palm, Madagascar Palm|
|Maximum Reachable Height||Up to 7 feet|
|Bloom Time||During late spring or early summer|
Planting And Care
Refer our Garden Guide for detailed procedures and meanings of words related to gardening.
- Keep the plant indoor with bright indirect natural light or bright artifical light.
- Protect the plant from direct sunlight as it can cause damage to the foliage.
- The soil should be well drained and fertile for growing areca plant.
- Water the plant when the topsoil (1-2 inch) in pot feels dry to touch.
- Do not overwater the plant.
- Water thoroughly in the summer and reduce watering in winter and rainy season.
Application of Fertilizer
- During the main growing season (April – August) feed the Money plant with organic fertilizer once a month.
- Loosen the topsoil without disturbing the roots of the plant so it can uptake the nutrients and moisture easily.
- When a plant outgrows in current pot, re-pot with fresh potting soil and some fertilizer.
- Do the re-potting late evening and keep the plant in shady area for 2 to 3 days and then move the plant in its suitable climatic condition.
For re-potting procedure click here
- Remove dead, infected or damaged plant parts and discard them away from the plants.
- For any insect attack or disease, you can use Neem oil, Eucalyptus oil or Citrus oil spray for primary treatment.
- Do not place your plant in bright direct sunlight it can burn the leaves of plant.
- keep away from the AC Vents.
- Do not overwater the plant especially when pot does not have drainage holes.
Areca Palm Care
Initial care for 1-2 weeks after receiving plant at your location:
- Check the moisture in the soil before watering it.
- Poke your finger into the soil, if dry then apply water.
- Keep the plant in indirect light.
- Do not re-pot immediately after receiving it.
Key requirements to keep plant healthy:
|Sunlight||Full to partial sunlight|
|Soil||Nutrient-rich loamy soil|
|Temperature||20 to 35 degree Celsius|
|Fertilizer||Apply organic fertilizer|
Areca Palm Special Feature
Areca palm is air purifier indoor plant.
Areca Palm Uses
- This is one of the most useful Palms for landscape gardening